- Thanks to new technology being introduced each day, it’s no surprise that we’re now entering a world with uber-fast gigabit internet. Even though the service is not yet being offered worldwide, it won’t take long until this lightning-fast internet service reaches your area. And when it arrives, it’s best to be prepared.
- Unfortunately, current modem models cannot handle the awesome speeds of gigabit internet. You have to invest in a modem that runs on DOCSIS 3.1 for it to work properly.
- So if you’ve been planning to upgrade your modem – or simply looking for a new one to prepare for gigabit internet – then look no further because you came to the right place. We reviewed seven of the best gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 modems in the market to help you find the perfect one for you.
What is DOCSIS 3.1?
Data Over Cable Services Interface Specification, often abbreviated as DOCSIS, is a widely-recognized standard involving the transfer of data with the use of cable systems.
With that said, DOCSIS 3.1 is the latest update for this technology. In a second, this modem can perform downstream transfers of up to a whopping 10 GB and perform upstream transfers of around 1 Gbps. And that’s truly impressive for cable network transfers.
Why Use DOCSIS 3.1 for Gigabit Internet?
But before we dive into the details, we want to answer some of the most common questions about DOCSIS 3.1 modems first. We’ll start with this: why use DOCSIS 3.1 for gigabit internet?
The answer to this question depends on the type of internet connection you have. If you’re using cable internet, the answer is yes. To support superior gigabit download speeds using cable internet, you need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to make sure it works properly.
On the other hand, you do not need this type of modem if you’re using fiber internet connections. What you need for this type of connection is a fiber-optic modem.
Best Gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 Modems: Reviews
Now that we have a better understanding of what DOCSIS 3.1 modems are, we can now proceed with the reviews.
Overall Best Gigabit Modem: Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Modem
- COMPATIBLE WITH XFINITY INTERNET & VOICE SERVICE: Certified...
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model CM1150V replaces your cable...
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up...
- WORKS WITH ANY WiFi ROUTER: Connect any WiFi router to this...
Last update on 2021-01-25 at 20:54
Another top contender for the best gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 modems is the Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem.
Thanks to download speeds soaring to 6 Gbps, Netgear guarantees stress-free surfing and streaming. While this may not be the fastest on this list, such speed is considered superior. With this modem, waiting for a web page to load is a thing of the past.
But what we love most about this modem is its versatility. The Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem supports multiple internet speeds, allowing it to work with any cable data transfer system.
Even if you’re still anticipating the arrival of gigabit internet in your area, you can already buy one since it’s compatible with your current cable internet speeds. By the time gigabit internet arrives, you know you’re well-prepared.
This unit works with Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Mediacom Cable.
Best Speed: Arris SB8200 SURFboard Modem
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans...
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2...
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports capable of link aggregation
- others Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or...
Last update on 2021-01-25 at 20:54
Out of the modems we have named on this list, no other unit impressed us as much as the Arris SB8200 SURFboard Modem.
This unit allows superior download speeds that could reach up to an impressive 10 gigabits per second. And with this kind of performance, accessing media-heavy pages will only take seconds to load completely.
We also love that it comes with two ethernet ports. This allows the Arris SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Modem to provide ultra-speed internet access to different networks simultaneously, saving you a lot of money in the long run.
With this impressive performance, 4K video streamers and serious gamers will be living the dream – and it’s all thanks to this DOCSIS 3.1 modem. And to give us peace of mind, the company offers a 2-year limited warranty with the purchase.
So all things considered, there’s no doubt that the Arris SB8200 Modem is the best for the gigabit internet category.
This unit works with Comcast Xfinity, RCN Cable, and Cox.
Best Security: Motorola Ultra-Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Modem
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers -...
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable...
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d...
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides...
Last update on 2021-01-27 at 12:54
If security is your priority, then you might want to consider the Motorola Ultra-Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem.
Thanks to its Broadcom chipset, you know your network’s well-protected. This gives you peace of mind, knowing that your connection is safe and secure.
The Motorola Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Modem offers speeds of up to 1 Gbps and is compatible with multiple internet speed spectrums. This makes it one of the most versatile modems on the market.
Best for Budget: Arris Touchstone Ultra Fast Modem
And finally, we have the Arris Touchstone Ultra Fast Cable Modem. While this is the most affordable option on this list, it offers superior functionality that makes its affordability hard to believe.
It also has a simple layout that makes installation a breeze, and this is why we believe it is also the most user-friendly alternative.
Aside from gigabit internet plans, the Arris Touchstone Ultra Fast Cable Modem also works with non-gigabit alternatives. This guarantees that a large market of internet users can benefit from this modem.
For its affordable price, lighting-fast speeds, and impressive functionality, there’s no doubt that this deserves to be on our list of the best gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 modems in the market.
This unit works with RCN Cable and Cox.
Best Combo Modem: Netgear Ultra-High-Speed Modem and Router
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers:...
- Save monthly rental fees: Model C7800 replaces your cable...
- Built for ultimate speed: best for cable provider plans up...
- Fast Wi-Fi performance: Get up to 3000 square feet wireless...
Last update on 2021-01-25 at 21:07
For those who prefer a combination of direct and wireless connectivity, look no further than the Netgear Ultra-High-Speed Modem and Router.
Since it allows you to connect directly via the modem and over WIFI, you save a lot of money from having to buy a separate router. Not only does this make it the practical choice, but you also save a lot of time from having to configure these devices separately.
The combo modem from Netgear has a dual-band router that allows you to use multiple devices with no problem. This makes it ideal for big families or offices.
So if you’re the practical type who wants hassle-free installation and browsing, this is the best gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 modem for you.
This unit works with both Cox and Comcast Xfinity.
Best for Multiple Users: Arris SURFboard Modem Plus WIFI
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band...
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including...
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS channels, 2 downstream x 2...
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4...
Last update on 2020-12-29 at 23:15
Another notable modem-and-router entry on this list is the Arris SURFboard Modem Plus WIFI Router.
Coming from a respected brand in the industry, we knew we had to expect a lot from this modem. And we have to admit, we were surprised by all its features.
First, this modem offers dual-band wireless internet that works on today’s standard frequencies and a Gigabit router with four ports. That allows you to access the internet simultaneously from different devices. If you have to share the internet with several users, this is the practical choice.
Also, it offers up to 32 downstream channels, 8 upstream channels, and four OFDM channels. This provides you with unparalleled performance for superior speeds that put other modem-router combinations to shame.
This unit works with Cox and Comcast Xfinity.
Best VoIP Modem: Arris SURFboard T25 Modem
- Certified to work with Xfinity internet & voice service Not...
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem with 32 downstream x 8 upstream...
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 Telephony ports for...
- Best for Xfinity internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps
Last update on 2021-01-27 at 12:54
Among the Arris modems we’ve encountered, we’re most impressed with the Arris T25 Modem’s functionality.
With impressive downstream and upstream capacities, this modem allows us to surf and stream at top-notch speeds. In fact, 4K video browsing and online gaming won’t be a problem, so serious gamers should consider investing in this modem.
The Arris T25 Modem also has a digital VoIP adapter that allows you to take advantage of telephone services with no further issues.
The only downside we can think of is that this modem is only compatible with limited ISPs. To save you money and time, inquire about its compatibility first before you buy.
This unit works with Comcast Xfinity. Nevertheless, you can ask your local ISP if this modem is compatible with their cable service.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 modems?
Simply stated: the DOCSIS 3.1 is the updated version of the DOCSIS 3.0. While the latter can only browse at a download speed of up to 1 Gbps, the former can reach download speeds of up to an impressive 10 Gbps.
Is the DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit cable modem backward compatible with the current provider?
Yes. DOCSIS 3.1 modems are built to be backward-compatible. This means that you can use it even for non-gigabit internet plans – a practical upgrade, no doubt.
Is a DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Worth It?
For those who opted to upgrade to a gigabit internet plan, buying a DOCSIS 3.1 modem will be worth it. This modem will allow you to maximize the superior speeds from your gigabit internet plan so you can enjoy the benefits of what you’re paying for.
And even if gigabit internet is not yet available in your area, the backward compatibility that comes with DOCSIS 3.1 modems allows it to connect with your current non-gigabit plan. So by the time it’s available in your city, you don’t have to buy a separate modem for it.
What is the Best Modem for High-Speed Internet?
In terms of speed, no other modem compares to the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Modem. At download speeds of up to 10 Gbps, it surely puts other modems to shame.